The 20th Meeting of New Researchers in Statistics and Probability will be happening in Burnaby, British Columbia, during its usual time right before JSM. The purpose of the conference is to promote interaction and networking among new researchers in statistics and probability and to provide them with valuable insights from leaders in the field.
|Host||Simon Fraser University (SFU)|
|Burnaby, BC, Canada|
|Location||Presentation Studio (ASB 10900) of SFU’s Big Data Hub|
|Dates||July 26-28, 2018|
- Liangliang Wang and Yunlong Nie
- Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, Simon Fraser University
- Alexander Volfovsky
- Department of Statistical Science, Duke University
- Elizabeth Ogburn
- Department of Biostatistics, Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Daniel Sussman
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Boston University
Funding The meeting is graciously supported by the
- National Science Foundation,
- Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences, and
- Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute.
- Alison Etheridge, Oxford University
- IMS President
- Xiao-Li Meng, Harvard University,
- IMS President Elect
- Marc Suchard, University of California, Los Angeles
- Hongyu Zhao, Yale University
- Jennifer Hill, New York University
- Philip Ernst, Rice University (Tweedie Award Winner)
Applications are accepted from anyone who:
- received a Ph.D. on or after 2013; or
- expects to receive a Ph.D. by the end of 2018.
The number of participants is limited. The deadline for receipt of applications is March 31, 2018. By April 5th, applicants will be notified of whether they have been selected to attend. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The selected applicants will be asked to pay a small ($100) registration fee to confirm their participation (this price is subject to small changes). However, contingent on the availability of funds, support to defray travel and housing costs will be offered, though we invite participants to seek partial funding of their own.
To apply, fill out the form linked above. You will need to provide the following information:
- Your full name
- Your institution
- Your email address
- The title of your position
- The year you earned/will earn a PhD
- Your main research areas (be specific)
- Your reasons for attending.
- Title of your presentation
- Abstract for your presentation
- 250 words maximum
Conference participants will be staying at the Simon Hotel or the townhouse units of the SFU Guest Accommodations.
Maps and Directions
The conference will be held in the Presentation Studio (ASB 10900) of SFU’s Big Data Hub. This is part of KEY, SFU’s Big Data Initiative. The address is
Applied Science Building, Room 10905
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Canada V5A 1S6